Writing Desk Makeover: Part 2

Last week was so busy, I forgot to post my progress on my blog! Whoops! Well, the desk has since been completed! So, without further ado, here is the second part of the Writing Desk Makeover.

2017-05-16 19.00.06

The finished green pieces (that includes the pieces shown above, and also part of the main desk, which is pictured further down)! I decided to leave those at one coat. I like the look of the brush strokes. I sealed the paint with some spray-on polycrylic.

2017-05-15 21.16.25

After the priming was done! Then it was paint-paint-paint! (And reassemble at the end, of course)

2017-05-16 19.00.36

The back piece of the desk was painted green, and I started to paint the white parts! For the white parts, I used a latex enamel, rather than a regular paint, since enamel is much more durable. That way, the main surface that I’m working on won’t get scuffed up as easily. However, enamel is THICK. Like, really annoyingly thick. I took the above photo at a flattering angle that was obscured by some glare, but in person the brush strokes are VERY obvious. They aren’t cute and distressed-looking like on the green parts.

Much to my relief, we had a tiny paint roller lying around. That made the enamel application MUCH easier! I didn’t get the distressed look on the white parts as a result, but that’s a sacrifice I was willing to make in the name of saving myself time and frustration!

2017-05-17 21.40.52

Once I finished the base of the desk, I moved it into its new home in the basement.

2017-05-19 19.21.34

And now…the finished product! With flash:

2017-05-20 20.18.30

Without flash:

2017-05-20 20.18.40

Quite the transformation!

2017-05-08 20.54-vert

And here it is, all set-up!

2017-05-24 21.26.222017-05-24 21.26.34

Now about that “writing” thing…

Writing Desk Makeover: Part 1

For the past year, my desk has been hidden away in a basement, unused. My writing space therefore became the couch in the living room. Needless to say, my productivity went way down with the TV sitting right there in front of me.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, I moved into a new place. The new place has a dry, partially-finished basement. I decided to take this opportunity to create a proper writing space. Step one: refinish my old, beat-up desk.

Here’s what I’m working with:

2017-05-08 20.54.05

Go Sabres!

This desk belonged to multiple members of my family before finally getting handed-down to me when I was in college. As you can see in the photo, it’s pretty beaten-up. The laminate coating of the particle board is worn or peeled away in many places, and there are some spots where the particle board itself has bubbled from water damage.

2017-05-09 20.16.57

The first step in fixing up the desk was to sand down the surfaces and patch the bubbles. I disassembled the hutch so I could tackle those pieces more easily.

2017-05-09 21.07.44

The bubbles were sanded down and filled in using a wood filler, then sanded down again.

2017-05-09 21.07.35.jpg

After sanding was done, I wiped the dust off with wet paper towels and started priming.

2017-05-10 22.10.36

I hit a bit of a snag while trying to take off the bottom shelf, so the underside of the desk wasn’t primed at the same time as everything else.

2017-05-10 22.10.23

Then I started painting some of my mint green accent pieces. When the desk is done, it will be off-white, with mint green accents in the shelves.

I’m debating whether or not I like the distressed look of a single coat of paint, or if I’ll clean it up with a second coat. I’m leaning toward the distressed look because 1) distressed furniture is very “in” right now, 2) distressed and old-looking furniture would be on-theme with a writing desk (especially one belonging to a steampunk writer!), and 3) it’s less work!

Stay tuned for a progress update next week!