For the past year, my desk has been hidden away in a basement, unused. My writing space therefore became the couch in the living room. Needless to say, my productivity went way down with the TV sitting right there in front of me.
Then, about 2 weeks ago, I moved into a new place. The new place has a dry, partially-finished basement. I decided to take this opportunity to create a proper writing space. Step one: refinish my old, beat-up desk.
Here’s what I’m working with:
This desk belonged to multiple members of my family before finally getting handed-down to me when I was in college. As you can see in the photo, it’s pretty beaten-up. The laminate coating of the particle board is worn or peeled away in many places, and there are some spots where the particle board itself has bubbled from water damage.
The first step in fixing up the desk was to sand down the surfaces and patch the bubbles. I disassembled the hutch so I could tackle those pieces more easily.
The bubbles were sanded down and filled in using a wood filler, then sanded down again.
After sanding was done, I wiped the dust off with wet paper towels and started priming.
I hit a bit of a snag while trying to take off the bottom shelf, so the underside of the desk wasn’t primed at the same time as everything else.
Then I started painting some of my mint green accent pieces. When the desk is done, it will be off-white, with mint green accents in the shelves.
I’m debating whether or not I like the distressed look of a single coat of paint, or if I’ll clean it up with a second coat. I’m leaning toward the distressed look because 1) distressed furniture is very “in” right now, 2) distressed and old-looking furniture would be on-theme with a writing desk (especially one belonging to a steampunk writer!), and 3) it’s less work!
Stay tuned for a progress update next week!