It’s October! In the spirit (ba-dum-chhh) of this month, I thought I’d compile a list of spooky book suggestions. Some of these books are ones I’ve read and enjoyed, others are on my own TBR list.
For younger audiences:
- Any Goosebumps book. These books were staple for me growing up!
- The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. This book was the first I read by Clive Barker when I was in Junior High School. It instantly sealed Barker as one of my favorite authors!
Young Adult and beyond:
- The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. Yes, the musical was based on a book, and the book is amazing! It delves deeper into the past and psyche of the titular Phantom and the games he plays.
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. A classic, and regarded to be the very first science fiction story ever published!
- Anything by Edgar Allan Poe. That should be self-explanatory 😉 I specifically enjoyed “The Fall of the House of Usher”, “The Masque of the Red Death”, and, of course, “The Raven”.
- The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker. While Clive Barker is one of my favorite authors, I still haven’t read what is arguably his most famous book, on which the movie Hellraiser was based. It’s high-up on my TBR!
- The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. This is a great choice if you want some spook/supernatural elements, but aren’t interested in horror. These books are light-hearted and funny!
Feel free to leave your own suggestions in the comments, or to talk about what you’re reading this month!